Friday, July 07, 2006

Could she be?!

***For the record, Cara was not posterior at all. The ultrasound showed that she was in a favorable position. This obviously helped her "fast decent" when she was born! :)***

I don't know how to start this because I rarely post about worrisome things but, this is pulling down my soul, so I felt that I'd better get it out in the open.

I had my 37 week midwife appointment on Wednesday and everything was going hunky-dory until my midwife and student (it's a teaching hospital) decided to measure the baby. Well, they were applying some pressure up top and down below and were looking at each other. My midwife had the student do the same. The conclusion, neither could be totally sure that little Cara was head down, ready for delivery. My midwife said that is almost felt like TWO HEADS?! I'm sure the look on my face was priceless as I grabbed Anne, the midwife's, arm. She assured me that the odds were very slim since I'd had two ultrasounds already and they only saw one baby...but still, I think my heart skipped a few beats. Then, she went on to say that they want to schedule another ultrasound ASAP to make sure that Cara is head down. I think that she's posterior, like her big sister was, and that's throwing them off...a sunny-side up baby. So, I'm sitting here waiting for a call from the ultrasound clinic to schedule my appointment. What will they do, you ask, if she's breech? Well, turns out that they will admit me as outpatient to the hospital and send me up to see the OB doctors. They will attempt to turn her in utero and see if that doesn't work, a c-section will be scheduled for Cara's delivery.
This is not how I wanted things to be...not to say that there's anything "wrong"--yet , but still, I don't need this stress and worry so close to my due date. I was hoping that all of this excitement would be a signal to Cara to surprise everyone and make her appearance. So far nothing, just a lot of movement and fierce kicks.
I suppose a c-section isn't the end of the world but it sure would complicate my recovery and totally violate my expectations. Instead of a nice, calm birth, I will be in a sterile environment with doctors that I don't know (midwives cannot do c-sections) having my belly cut open. The thought sends chills down my spine, so I'm trying not to think worse case scenerio.
Actually, in light of what a few of my friends have gone thru lately, I feel incredibly blessed, even if I do have a breech baby.
Right now, we're just taking everything one step at a time starting with the appointment for the ultrasound.

Could you all cross fingers, pray, think good thoughts or whatever it is you to for luck for me? We are all kind of sitting on pins & needles right now...

Thanks!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh Laura! I feel so badly that you are going through this stress. Hang in there, things are most likely totaly fine and if Cara is breech, then your Midwife will make a good plan to flip her around! My friend Sarah found out that her son was breech right around 37 weeks too. Her midwife/OB scheduled an "verson" (spell?) to turn him and it worked just fine! Sarah had a pretty classic Providence ABC center birth. She had to do it in a regular room though, because her son had a bit too much muconium.

ANYWAY...I think you will be fine. I bet Cara is just posterior. Did you know if you have one posterior baby, you are more likely to have another? Noah was posterior and my midwife said at 40 weeks: "Well, he's definitly not going to be a tiny peanut!". Guess what, he only weighed 6 lbs. 1 oz. and that was a week later! The point, if babies are posterior, it is really difficult to get a guage on their position and size. You know, feeling a belly isn't a science, it takes guess work too. I bet Cara is even just sitting there anterior and she just has buns of steel! Yes, I wish my tooshie was as firm as my head. :) You did amazing with Catie, and I know it will be the same with Cara.

I'm sending good thoughts your way. Please let us know how the ultrasound goes. Remember, you can do this! :) you and Ben will have another beautiful daughter very soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm crossing my fingers, thinking good thoughts, and everthing...

Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails