Friday, May 26, 2006

A Very Wise Decision

I'm sure everyone knows how hard it is to find a really good doctor--or in this case, a midwife--and we are so appreciative when we do find one. Today, I had my first appointment with the University of Colorado Nurse Midwivery practice. Yes, I have been getting continous care since finding out about Baby #2 in early February.
Anyway, I digress...I decided to make a switch from a Family Practioner to a midwife. I've been seeing my family practioner since the beginning and love her to death but, the hospital that she practices at is a little bit too sterile and tradional for my liking. Some of you might remember my birth experience with Caitlin--almost totally natural except for some mild IV drugs towards the end. I spent most of my transition labor in a jacuzzi tub, which saved my life. So, I was seeking this type of atmosphere for Cara's birth as well.
I did some investigating, took a couple of tours and decided that University Hospital best matched my needs. Oh my god, the birthing center is incredible! The rooms are huge and so comforting. You hardly feel that you're at a hospital. Plus, since this campus of the hospital is brand new, you get that bonus. Here, see for yourself--the online tour. Ben & I were drooling when we toured the center.
Okay, so we fell in love with the hospital, so the next step was to find a midwife. I set up a consultation with the Center for Midwivery and was equally impressed. All of my questions got answered and I was pleased with what I heard. I booked an appointment and anxiously awaited the day.
My appointment was at 10:20 this morning and by 10:30, I was in with one of the nurses doing medical history and such. Then, one of midwives comes in. Her name is Jessica and she was just wonderful. She had such of a sunny disposition that it was contagious. She let Caitlin "help" measure me and listen to the baby. No doctor I've ever had has been that involved with Caitlin. She kept looking at me with the biggest smile on her face--priceless. The best things that I heard today...not having to have an IV at all, no pee tests every single visit and the option to have a water birth (I think it would totally freak Ben out) or give birth in any position I choose
I left there feeling so at home and comfortable with the practice and cannot wait to meet the other 3 midwives. Now that I'm 30 weeks, I will be going every 2 weeks until I deliever, so I'm sure to develop friendships with all of them.
I don't know how it is with regular OBs, but I've been lucky to have wonderful experiences with midwives to date. I guess that's the whole philosophy...a more well rounded experience or "beyond the ordinary" as is the moto of this practice.
Oh, I'm so glad I decided to find something that suited my wants and needs, I couldn't be happier about my decision!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails