Thursday, August 09, 2007

Two for One

The ball is rolling on Cara's hydrocephalus. Her pediatrician got the MRI results yesterday and promptly called me explain them in layman's terms. He wanted us to move quickly on getting Cara in to see a pediatric neurosurgeon at Children's Hospital. After running to the pediatrician's office to pick up a copy of the MRI results and the name of a neurosurgeon, I was on the phone attempting to book an appointment. My mom ended up having to act as an intermediary since I was having trouble hearing and understanding the appointment scheduler. At first, it looked like we weren't going to be able to get in for a consultation until September, then it moved up to the end of August. Cara's pediatrician felt that there was some urgency to her case, so he called the pediatric neurosurgery department, pleading Cara's case and got us in this Friday (8/10). She is going to see the neurosurgeon recommended by her pediatrician even though I got another referral from my mom (long story) for another who is supposed to be the best in the state...so we may end up changing doctors if we're not impressed. She is also going to see a plastic surgeon at the same time. I'm not entirely certain why a plastic surgeon is necessary but, I'm guessing that it's due to the scars that will result from the surgery. Two surgeons in one visit...way to simplify things, I suppose. Right now, it is of dire importance that we get a surgical consult done ASAP. I am prepared for the fact that we might be prepping Cara for surgery as early as this weekend or the first part of next week depending on the neuro's take on the MRI results and the degree of urgency he attaches to her case. It could be next month too, no way to know right now. From everything that I've read, it looks like there will be a 2-3 day hospital stay after the surgery, assuming that she has a shunt put in. If they do another procedure, I have no clue as to how long as there wasn't much information available on alternative surgeries. I would really like for her to have a endoscopic third ventriculostomy because it is less evasive and sounds like permanent fix to the problem whereas shunts can malfunction and get infected...so it's a life long thing. Right now, we are playing "wait and see" until 2 o'clock on Friday. Then, we should have a lot of answers to our questions.

Again, please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers. We are all a little scared of what is yet to come. I take comfort in the knowledge that my family and friends are there for me. My mom will be making the 5 hour journey across the state to be here for the consultation. We need all the support (and medical know-how) that we can get.

Thanks everyone for your love, friendship, caring and support!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Hi Laura,

I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you guys right now. This must be pretty scary for you and Ben right now, but it sounds like the doctors are acting fast and are very competent. I know you'll be in great hands. We'll keep Cara and you, Ben and Caitie in our prayers. Thanks so much for the update.
Love and Hugs,
Lauren

Mary said...

I'm glad the doctors are acting as quickly as possible to help Cara...this seems to me to be a good sign that Cara will be getting the best care she deserves to have.

All of you are repeatedly in my prayers...and I believe God has Cara in His loving arms.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails